Driving in Europe

From 1 January 2021 UK motorists travelling to the EU (including Ireland), EEA member states, Switzerland, Serbia and Andorra should prepare to carry a Green Card as proof of insurance.

The Green Card is an internationally recognised certificate of insurance providing visiting motorists the minimum compulsory insurance cover required by the law of the country visited within Europe. For more information visit hughesinsurance.co.uk/news/green-card-information.

We will automatically issue a Green Card to all our customers at the time of purchase, renewal or adjustment of your policy.

If you have not yet received a Green Card and require one in advance, please complete the form below and we will email you a copy.



If you are towing a caravan or trailer when travelling abroad, you will need to contact us on 02891 817375 so we can issue you with a separate Green Card. You will also need to contact us directly if you require a Green Card for the following policy types:

  • Motor Fleet
  • Motor Trade
  • Agricultural Vehicles

You will need a physical copy of the Green Card with you when you are travelling abroad. You can print the attachment from your email at home on white paper.

When you submit this request a Green Card will be sent to you using the method of communication noted on our records, which will be either by post or email.

* You are agreeing to receiving policy correspondence from us by email in future wherever possible, this may include contractual documentation and your renewal invitation. Please ensure the email address is used regularly and is secure and personal to you. You must keep us up to date with any changes to this.